Costa Rica Offshore Fishing
Battle with sailfish, marlin and tuna from power boats using high end fishing gear, guided by trilingual professionals.
About Costa Rica Offshore fishing:
In Costa Rica offshore fishing is one of its main attractions. The billfish action is of world class caliber. In the same areas as the billfish hang, it is possible to encounter schools of yellowfin tuna and mahi mahi.
The season is all year round with some general rules of thumb. The largest number of sailfish are found from December to the end of April. The marlin are usually running strongest in the rainy season from May to December. Tunas are abundant all year round and mahi mahi are more common from September to January. However, you can catch anything at any time of the year.
Most of the fishing is done by trolling. It is common to run between 20-35 miles before we start fishing. Since we are centrally located we can fish both Cabo Blanco and south towards Quepos in the same areas the boats from Los Sueños. This all depends upon the reports from the previous days.
We use a mix of dead baits, dead baits combined with artificials and plain artificials in our spread. If live bait is available or we catch some offshore we also use this. We also run several teasers for the bait and switch technique which is a blast.
We will pick you up at he the Paquera ferry landing or the agreed upon location at between 0600 and 0700. Depending on the bite we run to our desired starting point and set out the spread. Should we come across tuna we switch out the standard billfish spread to a tuna spread or break out the casting gear to try to catch one on top water. During the day, you will get to enjoy snacks, fresh fruit, lunch and beverages including beer. We are then back to the drop-off point at between 1630 and 1730.
Reasons to choose us:
• More than 10 years’ experience in the area
• Professional multilingual guides – speak English, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian
• Top notch equipment
• Beverages, snacks and lunch included
• Insurance from INS (national institute of insurances)
• Boats equipped for sport fishing
• Excellent price compared to similar boats in the area
• Captain is marine biologist and Pro Staff Costa Rica
• We carry safety equipment, life vests, life buoys, VHF radio
• Marine toilet and radio in both boats
Tour Logistics / booking / prices:
Pick-up point: Normally at the Paquera ferry landing, but can be agreed upon
Pick-up time: to be agreed upon
Duration 10-11 hours
Bahia Rica provides:
• Fishing gear
• Snacks and lunch
• Safety equipment, life vests and life buoys
Clients need to bring:
• Hat / cap / visor
• Long arm shirt (we sell UPF50+ shirts and accessories)
• Light rain gear in the rainy season (May-Nov)
• Copy of passport and photo of entry stamp (in case Coast Guards inspects us)
• Towels (if you want to take a swim)
• NB! You need a Costa Rican fishing license.
Licenses can be purchased online.
Price offshore fishing:
• Mono Congo:$750 for up to 4 persons
• Conquistador: $950 for up to 4 persons